Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Post 26/11 - A Wednesday

I never thought my appearance, my camera, my bag etc etc. could pose me a problem.

Still remember the day very well. it was 3-dec- 2008. A WEDNESDAY. i had to go to pune on that very day for my project work. like any another day, i also took my camera with me. On my way to pune, I went by Indrani Express, enjoying nature. this journey was just ok. not very eventful. My work got over by 1300 hrs and i was back at pune station by 1330 hrs. my train was at 1500 hrs. the great DECCAN Express. there was time and my fingers were itching for a nice shot. so, went to a corner of a platform and was shooting the tracks, trains etc...

Now for some info on my huliya. i was inblack jeans, brown shoes, a white t-shirt and a blue jeans jacket. i had a beard which was, say, almost 3 weeks old. its not that i dont have time to shave. its just that i like having a beard. on top of that, i had a bag. a normal back pack with my project stuff i.e. some laminates ( metal pieces cut in some prescribed format) !!!

Here are some of the pics i managed to click.



Title : this is what i call Net-working!!!



Title : These are men of honor !!!

By then, an engine was approaching me and i got back to a safe place. since i had a cam, the driver gave me a weird look. the engine was for shunting. i ran behind the engine as am always fantasized by their sight.
Now begins my foolishness. i shot a couple of pics of the shunting process and was busy looking at the engine.
i felt somebody tapping my back. when i turned around, there were two guys from RPF. was sort of shocked to see them.
here is the conversation.
RPF1 (quite sensible guy ) : who are u ?
me : am a traveller.
RPF1 : where r u going ? show me ur ticket.
me : mumbai. i promptly showed him my ticket.
RPF1 : tum to mumbai ke nahi lagte ho.
me : haan ji. me karnatak se hu.
RPF1 : yahan pekya kar rahe ho ?
me : engine ko dekh raha tha ji. accha lagta hai. bachpan se.
RPF2 (very arrogant) : jaise ki tumhe sub kuch samaj me aata hai.
me : i felt this RPF2 was a constable or a sub-ordinate who was trying to prove his seniority.
hhan ji. mujhe yeh sab samaj me aata hai. yeh hi to mera kaam hai.
then RPF1 was surprised.
RPF1 : kahan pe kaam karte ho ???
me : IIT Bombay me padta hu. yeh engines / cars pe meri padhai hoti hai.
RPF1 : show me your i-card.
i promptly showed
RPF1 : dekho, PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT ALLOWED IN RAILWAY PREMISES.
me : sorry sir. mujhe pata nahi tha.

by then, ppl on the platform had formed a big crowed around us. probably they were waiting for RPF to certify me as "terrorist" so that they could trash me.

i was lucky that such a situation did not rise. thanked my stars a million times.

on my way back, i was wondering, how did RPF ppl came to know that i was clicking pics ? it was the "loco pilot " who had seen me clicking pics. then i realised, he might have signalled, wired them or informed them by some means. after 26/11, ppl are cautious. thats a good improvement. but then, i was questioned for clicking pics at station, for staring at the loco, for growing a beard, for carrying a backpack.
where is my freedom??? with these thoughts, reached thane and took a train to kanjurmarg.
usually, i jump off the tracks to get out of the station. but, that evening, like a good kid, i took the foor over bridge. while climbing down the stairs, i tripped on my shoe lace, rolled over 10 steps and had a bad sprain. real bad sprain.

what a wonderful way to end the day!!!

this wednesday will be in my memory. always. for i have displayed the heights of stupidity. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

a good experience rather!!!

Aparna Vittal Dhas said...

:D

So, lesson learnt would be: "Always carry your ID card if you plan to grow a beard"?